A strong immune system is a perfect health solution to tackle many health problems such as various infections & other medical diseases. So it is important to build a strong immune system in the body, to stay healthy and happy. It is equally important to be as close to nature and as far from harmful chemicals as possible, especially in the younger age groups.
Many natural plants and herbs contain medicinal properties which are used in Ayurveda & other forms of treatment, from ancient times in India to treat various health problems. Among the herbs Tulsi (Holy basil) and Amla (Indian gooseberry) are popularly used for their medicinal benefits.
Tulsi and Amla, both contain many medicinal substances like phytophenols, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals which can build up natural immunity in humans. When a strong immune system develops in the body, it prevents damage of cells, due to free radicals released by toxins or environmental factors, thus protecting us from many infections. Nutrient rich diet is extremely important for a good diet.
What is Immunity, Immune System and Immune Response?
Immunity refers to the capacity of the body to resist infection / invasion by microorganisms or their toxins released by them or other foreign substance. In simple words it is the ability of the body to fight infection and disease caused by foreign agents and microorganisms. Immunity is gained in the body through the immune system.
Immune System is the body's defense mechanism and is made up of biological structures such as the cells, tissues, molecules and organs. Immune system includes many organs like liver, spleen, thymus, lymph nodes, white blood cells, complement system, bone marrow, and MHC/HLA. Immune system elicits immune responses when foreign agents like bacteria, virus or fungus are introduced into the body.
Immune Response helps to fight the infection or disease caused by external factors and foreign agents, by producing cells and antibodies which destroy the invaders.
What do You Know about Tulsi?
Tulsi is found in many homes in India and is considered Divine. Tulsi also known as Holy basil is an aromatic shrub in the family of Lamiaceae has originated in north central India and is now grown in South east Asia. In the traditional system of Ayurveda medicine Tulsi is used to treat many health problems since ancient times in India. It has been known as "The Incomparable", and as "Mother medicine of Nature", and as "The Queen of Herbs" as it has many medicinal benefits. Tulsi is a culinary herb with a pungent flavour and is intensified with cooking.
Tulsi leaves are a rich source of essential oil, nerol, and camphor which works as a good antiseptic. Tulsi is one of the best medicinal herb which contains many substances that can boost immunity in humans. Tulsi leaves are used in fresh and dry form in many dishes and in herbal tea which help to boost immunity and improve overall health.
How does Tulsi Build Natural Immunity in Our Body?
To build natural immunity in the body, the herb Tulsi plays an important role.
- Tulsi consists of many medicinal substances such as phytochemicals, bioflavonoids, anti-oxidants (Rosimarinic acid), essential micronutrients and anti-inflammatory substances, which can exert good anti-inflammatory and immune effects in the body.
- Many respiratory infections such as cold, flu, sore throat, chest infection can be treated with Tulsi, as it boosts immune system and provides anti-microbial effects.
- Tulsi leaf extracts increase T helper cells ( Immune system cells ) and stimulates natural immune killer cells and macrophages which are important cells of the immune system that respond to an infection or toxin released by damaged cells.
- Tulsi is known as Queen of immunomodulating herb as it has the ability to stimulate immune responses and helps in fighting infection and cancer.
- Tulsi can eliminate the toxins produced by microorganisms and the damaged cells on a natural way before they can cause disease in the body.
- Every part of Tulsi plant, the leaves, flowers, stem, seeds and oil extract can promote health, fight disease and build natural immunity.
- Tulsi contains micronutrients like vitamins and minerals which help to improve immune system by protecting it from damage caused by free radicals released due to infections and toxins in the body.
- So Tulsi helps in treating many medical conditions like fever, asthma, other respiratory illnesses, for digestion problems, and helps wounds to heal faster.
- As it can build strong immunity, it helps you to recover from conditions like cold, cough, fever sore throat, caused usually by viral infection.
What is Amla (Indian Gooseberry)?
Amla known as Indian gooseberry (Phyllanthus Emblica Linn) has many medicinal benefits and is used in the Indian Ayurvedic medicine. The fruit of Amla plant is the most important part, which is a small round berry in green-yellow colour, tastes sour but when cooked gives a flavour to the foods.
Amla can be eaten raw, made into pickles and chutneys and cooked with other dishes. It is also available as candy, dried chips, jellies, sauces and powder. Amla is an excellent source of essential nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, Iron, Calcium and Phosphorous which when taken into the body, helps to build immunity and fight against infections.
Fresh fruit of Amla contains more than 80% of water, essential nutrients, carbohydrates and fibre and can be used to treat many ailments. Amla has many health benefits like it is good for the skin, hair, eyes, anaemia, diabetes, lower cholesterol, prevent constipation and boost immunity.
Goodness of Amla in Building Natural Immunity in the Body
Amla contains many medicinal ingredients that makes it one of the best herb to build natural immunity in the body.
- Amla is rich in antioxidants, phytochemicals, flavonoids, alkaloids, vitamin A & vitamin C which help build immunity and helps to fight against infections.
- Amla being a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, can neutralize the free radicals caused by microorganisms, cell damage and toxins and keeps the body cells safe from the harmful effects of free radicals, thus helping to combat infections.
- Amla improves the immune system by increasing the white blood cells in the body and protects the cells from oxidative damage.
- As Amla has anti- bacterial properties it is useful to detoxify the toxins released by bacteria.
- Amla has many micronutrients like calcium, phosphorous, iron, beta carotene, thiamine, riboflavin niacin and vitamin C which help to boost immunity when taken in enough quantity.
- By improving immune system, it helps to improve body's defenses against respiratory infections and infections during pandemic.
- Amla if added to our diet can improve overall health and will keep you safe and happy.
It is found that an effective combination of herbs can build natural immunity in the body and one such combination is Tulsi and Amla. Both Tulsi and Amla have anti-oxidants and essential nutrients (vitamins and minerals) which are necessary to help build strong immunity.
Amla and Tulsi both can rejuvenate the tissues, fight against free radicals, protect cell damage, possess anti- microbial properties, detoxify the body system, provide nutrients to the tissues and strengthen the immune system, thus helping us to fight against infection and disease. Building immunity means you re- build your body's defense system against dreadful infections which can be life threatening. As building natural immunity in the body is in our hands, we need to follow simple natural ways like healthy diet, exercise, reducing stress and good sleep and supplement with dietary supplements if needed.